Monday, July 23, 2007

07.22.07 GARDENER’S HELPER


You have to look closely at this picture. But if you do, you will see signs of tunnels between the pepper and tomato plants. Lately when walking in the garden, I have noticed the soil in the paths was kind of squishy and loose. Here is evidence to the reason. Mole holes! When I took this picture, I thought I would be writing about my trials with another garden pest, but after some research on the web I find that my fears were completely unfounded. Moles (family Talpidae) do not, as commonly thought, eat the roots of plants. They are carnivorous, going after earthworms and hopefully some of the many grubs (of pest beetles?) in the garden. I don't mind losing some of the earthworms, we have plenty, and the moles kindly aerate and till my soil from below.

No comments: