Monday, June 25, 2007

06.25.07 NOT SQUASHED YET!


It is not easy growing members of the gourd family, cucurbitaceae, around here. Planted this late in the summer an insect known as a borer hollows out the stems of the plant making it difficult to impossible for the vine to produce much. This is unfortunate since we all love the melons, pumpkins, squash, zucchini, and cucumbers in this tribe. I read recently about staying ahead of the borers by planting the seeds in a protected area in pots and then after transplanting to the garden keeping the plants under row cover cloth. Thought I would try it. I started my plants on the front porch. After a week or so had gone by, I saw no growth in my pots, just bits of dirt pushed around. I checked and every seed had been stolen by either a bird or a four-footed varmint! Here I am replanting them all to start in an even more protected location!

No comments: